Wednesday, November 29, 2006

when the adrenaline dumps...

julie had a post the other day about her drive home and her almost accident. in amazing clarity she rattles off the various thoughts that ran through her head in the instant before her car was almost hit.

i love the "atticus kodiak" series by greg rucka. go. buy this series now. anyways, in the second book he talks about "stupid things that go through your head when the adrenaline dumps". he does a great job writing believeable characters. they're people you know even though they're in fictional, over the top adventures and what goes through their heads is similar to stuff that has usually gone through my head. anything from "oh shit, this is gonna leave a mark" to "lordy, i'm glad i've got a good job with health benefits."

i had JUST read and commented on julie's post and was leaving work to go home. the temperature had dropped and the snow had come in. i was driving down the interstate when a car next to me lost it and started to spin and nudged me and made me spin. just as the spin started i cursed the lack of a good, self cleaning old-school willys jeep treads on my truck. not so great on ice but last night might've worked against the slushy, tread clogging snow. as i continued through my spin i was wondering how much my insurance rate was going to hike and was muttering "son of a BITCH!" as the car that nudged me righted itself and drove off. as i came to the stop of my spin with the nose and cab of the truck in the lane next to the one i started in and saw a huge semi truck coming at me i started laughing of all things... "if i thought i had an unhealthy phobia of being inside a car before..."

oddly enough i got myself righted and out of his way (and he swerved and braked enough) before he flattened me. it still amazes me how many thoughts can go through your head in such a short period of time.

5 comments:

caramaena said...

eep!

I'm glad you're ok. Any damage to the car?

Anonymous said...

See… when I’ve almost gotten into an accident.. I never think anything that serious… its more of *oh crap, now I’m going to have to talk to this person and deal with some angry ass because they got in a wreck* call it a piss poor attitude…. I call it dreading the having to face reality.
Though the good insurance thing has gone through my head when I’ve gone out on overly slippery roads...
I wish I would have known about your blog sooner… and I like your shoes.

SBS said...

I'm glad you are alright!!!

Anonymous said...

wow...close call Sean...I am amazed though that you and Julie too, could remember all that stuff that went through your head..I would STILL be in shock...

Oh and you know I AM a Greg Rucka fan, thanks to you..

:-)

Sean said...

caramaena. i'm good. the guy just tapped the corner of the bumper so the truck's fine as well... just a good, fun time.

sarah... better late than never. :)

leelee. always glad to spread such stuff like a virus.

julie. the timing of the thing was just really freaky.