i hate blogger somedays... just typed out the explanation and the question and lost it. so here we go again...
did you ever have that special someone in your life that you felt you were perfect for, and they were perfect for you, but timing just kept you apart for years and years? you were probably best friends with them, but when you were single, they were dating and when they were single you were with someone? or you both talked about it and decided that the friendship was too perfect to risk? or friends or family or life or fate just kept you from taking it to the next level? i'm not in this situation now, but we were talking about it at work the other day, and it seemed like at some point in time, everyone had been in that type of situation. but none of us had ever made it happen with that person. we moved, they moved, sometime in all of those years dating other people one or the other person found someone that was more right, whatever...
so the question is, have any of you ever played that round and round game with that person and then eventually ended up with them? was it as good as you always thought it'd be? were they the one forever and ever? or did the reality fail to live up to the fantasies? had they seemed more perfect than they really were because they were unattainable? just curious.
12 comments:
Not me, but my best friend did. She and he split when young, he stayed with NASA, she took off for a dancing career... 18 YEARS LATER, they hooked up and married.
They were soul mates, I also know a gentleman that was widowed at around age 70 something, and then shortly after and by accident met up with and married his high school sweetheart.
I still occasionally hear from the guy I lost my virginity to over 20 years ago. It's always a pleasant conversation.
It happens, and usually with good results :)
nope....sorry
How does a person with dyslexia post on your blog?? Just curious....
my fiance and i dated for a summer, the next summer we each dated someone else, and then went our seperate ways. (college and other life things) five years later he ran into my dad at a laundry mat in phx and asked about me. i was headed down there a week later for spring break. my dad set us up on a date. 3 years later he has moved to colo and we are getting married in 2007.
We dated...it was good- we broke up and dated other people...but no one really compared to him.
I let 2 years slide by- then sent flowers for his b-day...he told me thank you, but I'm seeing someone (but I knew she couldn't beat me! :)
So- I left him alone until they broke up, and I wrote him a letter.
He called me the moment he read the note, and we've been together for 19 years/ 17 married.
We've always been friends...and that is really the key (I think) to the durability of a relationship. If he weren't one of my dearest freinds, for sure I would have left him by now! :) I'm not in this because he's sexy, or has a lot of $, or gives me loads of attention...
he is my friend, and the father of my kids. And one day, when we are old, our friendship will be the most valuable thing we have-
Mmmm, I don't know. I think I might be in that now...
I have a rather interesting story...BUT....all I can whisper is...some things you work out to happen....and some things magically hang by the thread of destiny...
I have an ol' ol friend ( more than 20 years...since childhood)...who remains to be a friend..at heart though we are apart....
He was my bestfriend...like...really childhood bestfriend...but...people grow up...move away...like moved away when I was 19...
He'd ask for my number year after year...from common friends...I'd hear about it...
then one day...out of the blue my phone rings...3 years ago...after 15 years...of not seeing hearing him...he living in the grandest city of the west..and me somewhere...just somewhere...an ol' familiar voice just pouring out what an old dear wanted to say to me but never did on that last day we were together...me telling him happily I was getting married..to the most wonderful person in my life..
I couldn't explain what I felt...when I heard him say all these things...he didn't want anything but for me to know what he kept inside all those years...
I respected that..and let it rest...
He is a dear friend...and will always be...some things hang by the thread of destiny...
Ummm...yes.
*sigh*
Let me ammend that and regal you with a long comment. (Sorry, Sean, by the way.)
Loki is nine years older than me. When we met I was 19 and he was 28. We were naturally, at different points in our lives. The first time we dated and broke up he didn't know what he was doing with his life and I was still in college.
The second time we broke up he was on the verge of beginning his teaching job and I was about to graduate from college.
The third time we dated it stuck. We were in comfortable places in our lives. So, it took us about five years to finally get married, but we did.
ya get a chance, I responded to your "Pettiness..." blog.
See ya
I was in that situation. The situation ended and we tied the knot.
The best women (in your case), are the ones who don;t want to play games.
Who needs games? You want "real", right?
I was in love with my best friend Brian for years during college. We were inseparable, did everything together, even dated a few weeks when I was a freshman, but the circumstances were always stacked against us, and one of us was always coupled when the other was single.
I hooked him up with his (now) wife and was their maid of honor in the wedding, which was bittersweet as hell. In fact I started crying when I watched "My Best Friend's Wedding" the first time, hit a bit too close.
A few years ago, she cheated on him, and I talked him through it. But in my head, the entire time, I was thinking: "Pick me, instead." I was miserable, he was miserable.
A couple of years after that, lo and behold, I was in the same boat. And, concidentally, had a business trip scheduled to his part of the country. We had dinner together, and he confessed: "I should have married you, I was always in love with you but thought it was hopeless."
We almost slept together that night, but I told him: "Not like that. Just because they did it to us doesn't excuse us doing it." So he went his way, I went mine. Telling him goodbye was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
But now, I have no regrets. He and I are too much alike, we're both too Type A, and I don't want to live in California. So, life goes on, and I've chosen a different path. And i'd have to say that I'm no longer in love with him. I think it was just a way of looking back out of dissatisfaction with my life back in those days.
I don't know if we can go backwards. Maybe, maybe not.
Post a Comment