-so, i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who told me about their friend/romantic relationships. it was interesting to read all of the stories and it was kind of refreshing to read about the happy endings.
-the desktop is glued, filled and sanded. i've got to sand the legs and the front of the drawer and then i'll finish it. this weekend i've got to go back to the reserve unit. i hate to say it but i could use a couple more months off. it's funny, when i was on active duty all the old timers used to make fun of reservists and guardsmen, and without knowing any better i just assumed they knew what they were talking about. but (and not just because i AM one) now that i've seen them in action i have to take my hat off to them. the reserve/guard system isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, there are serious gaps and weaknesses in the training, but when it comes down to it, it takes a considerable amount of dedication for these guys to do what they do. it's easy to be in shape when part of your daily schedule is to work out every morning and your coworkers razz you constantly if you don't do well with the physical challenges. and "one weekend a month, two weeks a year" doesn't sound like much, but the reality is that makes for a really, really long two weeks, or a long month. the higher up the ranks these guys climb, the larger amounts of paperwork and planning is required to be done unpaid on personal time. and the way the world is today, i know reserve guys who've spent way more time in combat zones in the last ten years than any active duty guy can touch. the unit that i'm currently hanging out with has ALWAYS had at least one group of people deployed over the last ten years. Anyways, i was definately wrong before.
-i had a two hour interview with the ceo of that company today and a rep from a consulting firm. i wish i had a better feel for the interview now that it's over. i don't feel like i tanked it, and i don't feel like i slam dunked it. so i'm kinda on the edge of my seat until i hear from them again. sounds like a neat company and a great opportunity though. be interesting to see what the thought of me, and if an offer is made, what all it includes.
5 comments:
Good luck!
thanks again for continuing to serve this country.
i hope the outcome of your megainterview is favorable. hope the company offers you tons of perks!
There once was a time when the Reservists and Guard soldiers indeed did live up to the nickname "Weekend Warriors".
During Gulf War I, I was assigned 3 to my unit, and I made sure they were placed in experienced squads so the "RA's" could walk them through everything until they were ready to go it on their own. I'm happy to see they've come this far - of course out of necessity - but whatever it was that brought them into the competant mode is irrelevant. They're there now, and that is a good thing.
I was thinking about this a coupla years ago; how the part-timers had seen more action than a lot of people who were active duty. In my 21 years, I knew hundreds of 20+ year soldiers who NOT ONLY HAD NOT SEEN COMBAT, a few dozen I knew had never been deployed overseas or even been in a unit that trains in the woods or the desert. Serious desk jockey's who enjoyed a relatively cushy 20 years and have the same retirement benefits as someone who spent two decades crawling in the mud and snow interspersed with some bullets slinging over their heads.
Here, here. I for one have developed over the past few years a new appreciation for those that have gone where none of their so-called "peers" have ever gone before.
God Bless you, Sean
Have a good weekend Sean...
I suppose it won't be a barrell of monkeys- but I hope for the best :)
I also hope the interview outcome goes in your favor~
Hope all goes like you want it to!!
Post a Comment