Wednesday, March 14, 2007

normally i follow the party line and say that i have no regrets, that there's nothing i'd change, that all the things i've done in the past make me who i am today. the reality though, is that that's not quite true. i do regret all the different times i've hurt people, even if they didn't know it. the lies over the years, the gossip, letting someone down, whatever. i try to be a good person but there have definately been moments of weakness.

i was talking to someone the other day and they were able to rattle off so many details from their past. i can't do the same thing. i don't remember the names of so many different people i went to school with, or the teachers' names or anything. but one person i can't forget is charlotte. my first kiss.

i wasn't a popular kid in school. no self confidence, gawky and awkward. an easy target. or so it felt. i'm sure in hindsight everyone was teased just as much as i was, but that's not the way it seemed at the time. at the time it seemed like i could blame it on so much. mom and dad sending us to a private school with a bunch of rich kids in j.c. penny and sears clothes instead of the brand name stuff. being the new kids in a class with only 98 other kids in it who'd grown up together all their lives. being funny looking, just finding out i was going to have to wear glasses, whatever. it just was what it was though, and not that bad. but the normal teenage angst made it seem worse...

there were a couple girls i crushed on. the same ones everyone else did. the gorgeous, rich, snobby ones who wouldn't notice me. the beautiful, sweet, non-snobby ones who were so deeply entrenched in relationships that they'd notice me, but only as a friend. and then there was charlotte. she was kinda like me. not one of the popular ones. and for some reason she liked me.

my little sister was in the band. that's a big thing for small schools in the south. every weekend there was a band competition someplace in the state. (my parents definately loved us, giving up every single weekend to drive all over the state and deal with the politics of it). it was fun. the whole saturday spent with the gang. one time me and a couple of my friends were on the bus. someone was getting something out of a bag, or it was fall and cold and we were just trying to stay warm or hiding out from our parents. charlotte and her friends came on the bus. i was sitting on the back of one of the seats and as she walked by she gave me a shove in the chest and pushed me over. i struggled to get up and next thing i knew she was sitting in the seat and my head was in her lap and she was kissing me and stroking my hair.

i have to say, as far as first kisses go, it was great. if anyone would've been waiting for me to make the move for the first kiss, as much of a weinie as i am, we'd still be waiting for it. it was soft, sweet and great. she smelled great, felt great and looking up at her...

so we dated forever and lived happily ever after? or at least through prom? no. not so much. why? because. i was a dork. people made fun of her. people made fun of me. i wasn't strong enough to date her and risk the additional ridicule that i thought might happen. i was too concerned about what everyone else would think, when in reality they probably wouldn't have thought about it at all...

it's a shame too. there's other charlotte stories. one where she definately raised some eyebrows and turned me into a stud. at least in the eyes of the band kids. but i was still too weak.

i moved a couple years later, part way through the 10th grade. senior year a friend got word to me that she died.

blah. yeah. there's some regrets.

14 comments:

caramaena said...

How sad. Never good to hear of a death of someone so young, and then to have so many 'what if's' on top. Hard...

Law Girl said...

THAT is the greatest first kiss ever.

Yes, we were all geeks in high school.

A regret is only a regret if you didn't learn the lesson life had to teach you at that moment.

But that definatly takes the cake. Sorry dear.

Harleyblue said...

Regrets always become bigger when the person is gone and we can't make it right or apologize for what we did.

Ev said...

well, that is awesome that YOU got to share in one of her good kissing experiences in her short life.

curious as to how she turned you into a stud. i know how the band people roll - they are freak nasty. i was one.

Paperback Writer said...

Yes, that is a great first kiss.

On the very first day of seventh grade a girl was hit and killed by an ass who was driving on the wrong side of the road.

Anyway...

Anonymous said...

"i was sitting on the back of one of the seats and as she walked by she gave me a shove in the chest and pushed me over. i struggled to get up and next thing i knew she was sitting in the seat and my head was in her lap and she was kissing me and stroking my hair."

DUDE! This reads like Penthouse Forum! (And if you don't know what that is, I AM too old!)

How did she die?

Chris said...

That is a wonderful first kiss. We're all so lost when we're young. If we knew what we learn in adulthood then, I feel we would all have less regrets. I'm sorry to hear she died.

Steven said...

I can relate to a good deal of this.

Steve~

Jacob said...

Wow, Sean. This is powerfully written. It is a relief to hear someone else own their regrets. I'd do many things differently. I could never understand how someone could say that there isn't one single thing they would change. Crap. I'd change a bunch of it.

I am in that band party with Ev and you and your sis. Band. Marching band. In the bus with the Band. No kiss though.

Very good piece, Sean.

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

I'm sorry she died, Sean. A great story about the kiss, though.

Another interesting post could be things we learned at the back of the bus in 8th grade... ;)

KuPu said...

WOW, I love it when I read people's blogs about their lives when they were in school, because then I can let out a deep breath and say to myself "phew, it wasn't just me that felt that way!" or thought that or whatever. I'm sorry to hear about her passing! That is always hard. I also lost my friend in grade 6 and we were so sad, because we realized that she was going to miss out on a lot of stuff that we were just starting to experience.
Hugs!

Malinda777 said...

Sean...beautiful story. You know... I was a band geek... kinda funny that you mentioned band, and I just finished this year with a macho 10yr career with a son in football.

Each week (even at 44) the macho guys that sat in "our section" would give me shit about half time and band. Thank goodness at our age now it IS funny and we all had a good time.

I remember high school. I remember geeks, I WAS ONE then. I LOVED your first kiss story, and then... she died.

I get your memory. I get your emotion. But today, I have learned that every thing happens for a reason. People come into our lives for a reason, a season, or a lifetime.

Here's to Charlotte. Here's to the "what if's" that believe it or not, are sometimes comforting memories. She's smiling on you from above, and you will be one of her favorite memories as well.

Thanks for sharing. On a totally seperate note, I just hired a young man...really young... that just came out of Iraq. I own garages, and he worked on the hummers in the zone.

Now, he's green...really green... but he has the base, and we will train him into a true mechanic. But, as truly handsome as he is, and as truly motivated and well mannered as he is... he's quiet and soft, and just a sweet boy.

Don't know as if I'd call him a geek...but kind of he is... We all think of our soldiers and warriors as being SO MACHO and MANLY. I am seeing more and more young men now "back home"... and I'm realizing that the ratio is truly as it was in high school... more average Joes, and just as many geeks and nerds... and only a few bad asses (in the way we thought in high school). The high school "bad asses" mostly turned out to be assholes :)

I've also learned that the "nerds" or "geeks" from back then are the REAL MEN WITH REAL BACKBONE today that can find the manly side mixed with the emotional side that make up this country's BEST FATHERS AND HUSBANDS.

THANK GOD I WAS A GEEK, AND THANK GOD SO MANY SERVE OUR COUNTRY AND RAISE OUR CHILDREN...

Great story Sean... I'm now reminded of my high school Mike Petty... (hehehe insert blush here), AND I'm reminded of going back to my 20th reunion...

Kelly Dockery... was the biggest geek and nerd of all in school. I befriended him then, and he was a great guy. VERY FAT, VERY FEMININE... and yes is today gay. However, at the reunion (In West Texas) has grown up to be a wonderful man, very successful, "married-type gay", very comfortable in who he is... AND GUESS WHAT...

He lost all that weight, buffed up, and was a TOTAL BABE! I was never so proud to go to a redneck town and see someone "come out" looking so good and confident in who he is and who he's decided to be.

He won the award for "most changed". Funny how high school bullshit just doesn't matter later in life. BUT, it's those memories that shape us and make all of us geeks better people and leaders.

(Sorry I rambled)

Anonymous said...

There are many people I wonder about who moved away during various stages of school. Joy in 1st grade, Dawn in 4th grade... where are they now?

Anonymous said...

This makes me really sad.

If only because I can relate to a lot of it.

Great post.