well, today has just been... interesting. just one big sensory overload experience i guess. i experienced it a little at the mall this weekend, shopping for a new wardrobe. just being surrounded by that many people made me antsy. i kept wanting to do basics, checking for weapons and sensitive items, look for teammates and check exits, scanning the crowds for threats... and it was the same riding into work today. took "defensive driving" to new limits. we don't normally let vehicles get anywhere near that close to us over there, where here they're cutting me off and being normal stupid asses.
today i actually had to spend awhile figuring out what the heck to wear to work, instead of just grabbing whatever uniform was around and putting it on. deal with the traffic fight to work, and it's taken a good hour to figure out what i want for lunch. and work itself has changed loads. not all for the good. it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks/months as i a) job hunt and b) try to get things taken care of here without making things worse.
anyways, not a bad day, just a weird one. funny how all this stuff is completely normal until you're not doing it everyday for awhile.
8 comments:
I have to wonder how many people have this same problem, and how many don't have your fortitude to deal with it. We have a problem here with returning Marines being REALLLLY reckless.
I understand. My good friend, Matt, who works as a contractor over there, finally bought an H-2 because he told me, "I just don't feel safe without some metal around me." Of course, he makes the money to be able to afford it, but he goes back and forth every three months. I seriously don't know how he does it. Just about the time he'd start feeling "normal," back to Iraq. he told the last time that he was actually looking forward to going back to Iraq because "normal" is so much more challenging right now.
And, it's not isolated to soldiering. I still see gang members EVERYWHERE, and I can't stop myself from reading their tats and getting paranoid.
Hey, thanks for coming by 100 Records! Wolfmother are just pure fun, a perfect summer band. You could get back in the swing of "normal" existence by going out and buying that cd. Play it loud.
I suspect that you need more time to get acclimated with being "normal" back home. It's a different sort of stress that no one else - other than other military types - understand.
It's really too bad that you can't take some more time off.
Good luck.
I'm just glad you're safe!
:)
Bless you Sean this Memorial Day holiday...I am thinking of you, and especially of those who gave their lives in service to the United States of America.
Hope you have a really wonderful weekend :)
-Cora :)
Welcome back to normal. The good thing is, most days you won't get shot at. Most days that is.
Post a Comment