Tuesday, May 30, 2006

i don't want to fly, but can i borrow your cape?

so. a friend of mine has this silver bra. apparently it's nothing special, but it's kinda shimmery and she likes the shape it gives her and when she puts it on she feels like a superhero. so she wears it when she needs a to kick a little ass. it puts her in that right frame of mind and she usually has an awesome day. i don't have a superhero bra, but i kinda understand what she's talking about.

i used to wait tables. i'm not really the most outgoing person. painfully shy might be a better way of describing it. that doesn't really mix with waiting tables, but most nights i could force myself to get the job done. i mean, i can take someone's order and i'm attentive enough to their needs that i normally got tipped pretty well. but everyonce in awhile i'd have an awesome night. i didn't have to work hard to talk to them, small talk rolled of my toungue easily, i was witty, charming and i raked the tips in hand over fist. a silver tounged devil, johnny-on-the spot... in the army we call'em "john wayne days". you can do no wrong, and you're a second ahead of the bad guys....

friday was kind of like that. the first couple days i rode the motorcycle to/from work it was still in the early break in period, so i couldn't really grip'n'rip. and i was going to work during prime rush hour, and i was still a little timid ont he new bike because i wasn't sure of where it's limits were. i walked into the office and had a new boss and there was some mutual proving all week, and just the stress of trying to get back into the swing of things. but on friday, i was a little late for work, and the scoot had 200 miles on it, and alot of people were skipping the drive in because of the holiday, so i really got a chance to zip-zip. weaving in and out of the traffic that was there. smooth, quick day at work, a couple problems popped up and i actually remembered the answers from a year ago and then when i rode home, traffic was even lighter... then late friday evening, someone called about a resume i'd sent weeks ago. it was the longest and best phone interview i've ever had. and i hung up with the impression that i'd be getting a follow up call to work out the details of a job offer. although i haven't received that call yet.

i still haven't quite figured out what my equivalant to the silver bra is... i wish i knew, it'd be awesome to turn a john wayne day on with the flip of a switch... what does it for you guys?

8 comments:

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

I have this one black suit jacket I wear when I need to kick ass. My colleagues now know, "ooh, she's got the power jacket on, stand back".

Paperback Writer said...

I have these pair of jeans that fit just right. Everything else that day just doesn't matter as long as I have those jeans on.

As for work attire....I'm still working on that.:)

bigwhitehat said...

Try a white stetson ruidoso. It works for me.

Megan said...

our office is so casual so if i really want to kick it up a notch i get dressed up for work. makes people ask why and take notice.

don't do it too often, but sure does boost me when i do!

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Music, my hair (if it behaves), and a good fitting bra all do wonders :) (TMI, TMI!!!)

I'd never thought about it though...and I guess if I had an object within my poession that would give me a John Wayne day, I'd have worn it out by now.

Hope you get a call back on that job! :)

Malinda777 said...

For me, it's just a deep breath, an extra step forward, and a determination to make it a go.

Oh, and that silent conversation with God to just watch over me as I walk through :)

Welcome home Sean...so glad you made it safely.

Trouble said...

let's see....i have this great charcoal gray suit that I wear when I'm traveling and want to kick someone's ass. I have a great peach colored cashmere jacket I wear when i want to look pretty (on the road).

And, when i want to feel sexy, I always wear garter belts and stockings OR, in the summer, get a pedicure with red nail polish.

I love me some red nail polish. ;)

FindingHeart said...

Um, silver bra.... come under 'don't ask, don't tell'? LOL. Just kidd'en dude. Glad you made it back and are finding your groove. My divorce has me looking into a bike now. My superhero wears the clean 'cowboy' boots. yee haw!