Thursday, April 13, 2006

leave it to the army...

... to take all the fun out of being a soldier. with all their safety rules and "zero defects" mentality, they really sap the fun right out of shooting really cool weapons, driving really cool vehicles, jumping out of planes, playing with explosives, using rubber boats, playing with cool electronics gear, the works. and they also take the realism RIGHT out of training. i can probably handle the no fun thing alot better than the unrealistic training...

i broke some of the rules tonight though. with all the hoopla about troops not having armor over here, the old style hmmwvs with the canvas tops and canvas doors are hard to find. we've got one though, and we've taken the doors and tops off of it because it's starting to warm up here now. and because they're just a helluva lot more fun to drive that way. well, the big boss has claimed it as his own (see the helluva lot more fun comment above for further explanation...). tonight i had to run someone out to the airstrip so i asked if i could mooch his ride. he said "sure" tossed me the keys and away i went. well, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth at a time like that. so after i kicked the airstrip guy out of the vehicle, i took off. this base is really pretty big, and the way it's set up, almost nobody goes on the perimeter road except to change out the guard details. i hit it flying. i had my new mp3 player with me, the music was blasting, the night was cooling down, it was beautiful. just 20 minutes or so of pure bliss all by myself. amazing what the little things will do for you.

when i was a little younger, my dad really didn't want me riding motorcycles all the time. not as commuter vehicles so we compromised and i got a jeep. it was still an open top so i felt the wind on my face but it had a roll cage so he was happy. i loved it. i was living in arizona at the time, and me and friends would purposely drive to some little cross roads not-quite-big-enough-to-be-a-town an hour outside of the city late at night just to freeze our asses off, listen to the music, get there, have breakfast or coffee at the waffle house and ride back. solving all the world's problems on the way. it was always such a great feeling of freedom. tonight reminded me of that.

12 comments:

elcynic said...

I still have a jeep as my dream car.. .well, a mail jeep, but that's an issue for another time.

In the meantime I'm sticking with a CRV, t's the closest I will let myself come.

Sean said...

sherry finally get rid of her jeep?

Trouble said...

I love that feeling. LOVE IT. It's finally warm enough here in Florida for me to drive in the evening with the windows down and the stereo screaming. It's a beautiful thing. For the life of me, I do not know why people want to get all civilized and run the air conditioner all the time when they get to my age. So boring. So sad. So out of touch with the sheer joy of human existence.

We need those wind kisses of bliss now and again, don't we?

Sean said...

trouble. it sometimes amazes me that all it takes to make my soul sing is a little speed, the sun beating down on my face, some wind blowing through my hair and some really loud music. last year a friend had wrist surgery, so i traded her cars. she got my old-man car and i got her sporty little stick shift with a sun roof. and she actually THANKED me.

Trouble said...

It's the little things, Sean. (Unless we're talking sex, then big is better)

Megan said...

All fun and no play makes Sean really lame!.....just like my little rhyme!!!

Paperback Writer said...

Word and double word to Trouble and Sean.

It's finally warm enough in Pittsburgh to drive with the windows down. Love it. It feels...good.

bigwhitehat said...

Something tells me you have a good time no matter what.

leelee said...

I drive a VW Cabrio convertible. Today, the weather was perfect...had the top down running my Saturday errands..the AC blowin' on me directly with the hot sun on my face..LET IT BLEED came on my XM..I prayed for red lights..just so I could bask..

WE ALL NEED...SOMEONE..CAN DREAM ON.....

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Dude, it's Saturday night, I'm slightly drunk, and my Army veteran boyfriend wants to know what your MOS is.
Have a good one.

By the way, I'm really glad to have you as a reader.

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for your courage and dedication to our country. Second, I am scared to DEATH of motorcycles, so if anyone ever witnesses me riding one, they should immediately call 911 and check me for a head injury. That said, you deserve any break from the reality you are dealing with so go for it.
Thanks for coming by my place and commenting on my insanity. I shall blog roll you and in the near future will showcase you and the other fantastic soldiers I have on the list.

Chris said...

I had a Jeep all through college and high school. I still get sad every time I see one go by that I'm not in...