it was pretty late when i wrote those two entries last night, and there was alot of stuff bouncing around inside my nogging that i wasn't tracking on. one of the comments i meant to make about the speakers was how over the years they've turned into one of those little tests. there've been girls who have loved the sound of them, and been able to ignore the early late 60's styling. there have been some who've loved the sound AND the styling. and there have been those who've continually tried to get me to hide or replace them with stuff that looked much more contemporary, regardless of the sound. it's one way of sorting out the "worthy" from the "unworthy"...
i have tons of other ways. depending on what my favorite stupid movie is at the time, the world is made up of two types of people, those that love "empire records" and those that don't (or whatever). cat people/dog people. those that at some time have been a part of something larger than themselves and those that haven't. classic car lovers and everyone else. motorcycle enthusists and everybody else. people who appreciate a great steak and a wonderful baked potato...
when i was younger, i used to have stupid ones for girls. if she leaned over and unlocked my door for me after i opened hers for hers. if we showered together, i'd wash her whole body; would she bend down and wash my feet as well when she was returning the favor? or stop at the knees? did she put her feet up on the dash of my car when we were driving around? silly little things that i thought gave me deep insight into someone's character.
how about you? got any? either in the dating world, or just in your everyday dealings? for/against the use of emoticons? smoker vs. non-smokers? what?
12 comments:
like you, i would judge guys on whether or not they would unlock my side of the car first! (btw...i leaned over and unlocked their door!)
early birds vs. night owls
good beer drinkers vs. cheap beer drinkers
i also judge / size people up based on their manners. do you say thank you, excuse me, please, etc.
Well I don't date..18th wedding anniversary fast aproaching :-)..BUT..I agree with a lot of what Julie wrote..the handwashing/bathroom thing is pretty important!! As far as friends..I found that I was holding on to old friendships that turned out to be pretty one sided. Old pals..from home who I have since moved on from. In retrospect realized I was giving my all to the friendships..and frankly was not getting anything in return. I don't just mean phone calls etc. But not hearing from them when it was common knowledge that I could have used some support. That kind of thing. Since I stopped initiating contact..I see now that it was me all along. I'm a libra..I live for balance...
I can also size up a person pretty well with eye contact. I can look someone in the eyes and really get a lot of feedback.
Megan hit it with manners...way important too.
Julie..when is your birthday? Mine is 10/03
I find that in the past I have worked really hard on keeping those friendships in place..so as not to upset my perceived balance..found I didn't need them any more..my balance was just fine..
I like a guy who opens car doors and other doors for me. Hate inconsiderate smokers (and I don't date guys who smoke often). BO is a huge one, I can't stand a man who smells, or who has bad breath. Shoes...i can't stand guys who wear queer shoes. Bad kissers...(shudders). If you can't kiss well, you're not getting anywhere else. People who are crappy tippers at restaurants.
I agree with what every one has been saying. A few more: a guy who can make me laugh - those who don't joke or can't take one can just leave. How well they treat waitresses and waiters is also a great indicator (someone who yells at them for no apparent reason is huge turn off). They (I don't know who this "they" is) say that someone who treats their mothers with respect will treat women with respect.
I haven't seen that last one in action though.
megan... it's amazing the stuff i got from watching my mom and dad together... i don't know how long they've been married and he still gets her door first...
when i was home on emergency leave i asked a girl in a bar if i could buy her a beer. told her i wasn't hitting on her, i'd just come out of the desert and thought she was pretty and just wanted to say "thanks" for being her and being there. she said yes and then ordered something stupid. hamms? schlitz? one of those beers that i didn't even realize they served in bars... c'mon, i'm buying and all you can order is a $.75 draft?
jules. you're right. you do sound picky... heh.
leelee... i agree with alot of what you guys wrote. and think alot of my rules now sound quite frivilous...
trouble... after waiting tables i definately agree with the tipping thing. and it's so funny how many guys don't realize the impression they're giving that girl when they stiff the waitstaff... i've seen the look in the girl's eyes a hundred times when the bastard doesn't leave a tip and doesn't have the excuse of horrible service to fall back on.
define "queer shoes" and "bad kisser" please...
queer shoes...hmmmm. That's more in the eye of the beholder, although...at a minimum, anything with pointy toes that makes me think the guy spends way too much time thinking about his clothes and shoes, aka: metrosexuals.
i'm not normal. I love *skater* shoes, like converse all-stars or vans. Chef wears vans. I still wear my all stars.
bad kisser? I wrote a post about it:
http://dubiouswonder.blogspot.com/2005/08/kissing-101.html
oh, i forgot...and the best kiss ever:
http://dubiouswonder.blogspot.com/2006/01/first-date-first-kiss.html
trouble... my vans old skools are in a plastic bag under my bed, just waiting for us to get back to the states so i can wear them again...
Smokers, no no.
Prefer cats.
If I have other rules, I can't remember them right now.
Sean, although I am working on year 21 of my marriage I still "date" my wife. It is kind of fun. One day on my blog I will tell everyone how I treated her on our 15th anniversary. That was a memorable date.
I have perpetual halitosis and I have to keep brushing my teeth or carry a case of breath mints with me to keep it at bay and eating those gives me indigestion. I cannot seem to win.
But the wife still loves me and I can deal with it as it comes if that does not change.
In His Service, Craig
Oh, you opened a can of "worms" on this one with the women. But since you are the consumate gentleman, you are safe.
I will stand in front of a door until it's opened, still today with my husband of 8 years. I appreciate manners. I watch people when drinking (and I love to drink), but if you change and morph as a drunk, you're out. Also, the guys that say their going to be somewhere at a certain time? Within 15 or 20 minutes, BE THERE, or call and say what happened. Can't stand no shows or late shows...
I like simplicity. I am a smoker, but a polite one, but I always told anyone who asked me out for a date... I smoke, I like to drink a bit, and I have two children. None of that will ever change, come on if you wish :)
Post a Comment