... the last couple of times i've gone home from someplace downrange, i've always managed to sneak back into country relatively un-noticed. no big fanfare or hooplah, and to be honest, i prefer it that way. i'm painfully shy around strangers. and even though i open up to the point of obnoxiousness around people i'm comfortable with, i still don't take praise or compliments or thanks well.
paperback writer wrote about different reasons why the internet might be good or bad recently, and one of the things that she mentioned was the ability for shy people to take on different personas and come out of their shells a little bit in a "safe" forum. in alot of ways that's me. i wouldn't tell complete strangers or even alot of good friends any of the stuff i punch out here on the blog. and part of that is i don't like getting into big military discussions and dealing with some of the gratitude that comes my way. but this is different. in this environment it's kinda nice and not so overwhelming.
anyways, one of the things that is freaking me out about this homecoming is that it's probably going to turn into a big production. apparently alot of family members will be showing up at the airport to great us when we fly back to co. so i've been discussing the possibility of renting a car in north carolina and leaving my group there. when they fly back, i'd drive back. take my time, blast the music, feel the wind coming through the open windows and sunroof (it'd be worth the upgrade). but someone took me aside today and gave me a little mental kick in the ass. pointed out that we have an obligation to thse people who want to say "thanks". they stayed behind and took care of things while we were awake, and if they want to get excited and put on a little shindig for us when we come home, who are we to rain on their parade? it's not like it's a firing squad. it's a little embarrassing, but no biggie.
blah.
7 comments:
No, I understand your concerns. I also understand the people for wanting to give you a big welcome back.
So...take the welcome back. Thank them profusely and then take a little break. Drive somewhere, open your windows and blast the radio.
And be happy in the fact that a) you're back home safe b)people missed you and appreciated what you did c)that you'll still have that safe and not so threatening environment to dish your thoughts out.
:)
Oh, and have yourself something yummy to eat too.
yea do what pw said, but just avoid boulder....
you'll be fine. I'm sure you are looking forward to some "down time" but let those who love you and care..fawn over you a bit. You deserve it..enjoy it.
And from one who only knows your shy self through your blog..I'll be welcoming you and thanking you for your service right along with everyone else..
Looks like the day is fast approaching..hope you keep blogging when you get home.
~leelee~
Well, I can't offer you a parade, although you deserve one. It's been nice to converse with you over time.
If you should ever drive your blasting radio toward Reno... be sure to e-mail. I will keep your arrival totally descreet, but my husband & I would love to give you a few stiff drinks, an excellant steak dinner and a hand shake in honor of your service to our country... other than that, a well deserved good time :)
I agree with Malinda, and if you are in East Texas, email me and we'll take you out in Redneck fashion.
I am sure the whole idea of being the center of attention is a little disconcerting. It's a barrage of stimulation that can go overboard, but in the end, it's love poring out from family and friends grateful to have you home. Deep breaths might help. Just come home safe, buddy.
Ah, but I liked the car idea... I mean I understadn tha other point of view as well, but knowing you, I can just see the drive withteh tunes as SO cathertic.
Sean, whatever you do...be sure to encourage your "brothers in arms" to blog...and to link to you so we can follow and encourage them :)
I don't suppose anyone can really know what a difference it makes until one does it...blogging I mean, but I just read one post that had me crying before I could finish writing a note! I know you think that you get the most out of our reading you and responding...but really it's us who get the greater benefit...
Thank you!!! :)
Post a Comment