so today i was walking through a house, and it was spotless. really looked beautiful. very bright, very stylish. but zero clutter. i'm cluttered, but not filthy, not disgusting. there's no week old pizza boxes in the corner, no mold growing anywhere, no fear of roaches... you don't have to kick stuff aside to get from the bed to the bathroom or bags of trash anywhere. just clutter. some of it is the lack of focus. go through my garage or my office area, and there's stacks of papers or items relating to unfinished projects. now at work, that's not entirely my fault, we work way understaffed. but at home...
but the really weird part of this house was the complete lack of books. no magazines anywhere, nothing. they had a room set up as an office, and in that room they had a three or four shelf bookshelf and probably ten or so books on the top shelf and that was it. in the master bedroom there is a "retreat" area (as the realtors like to dress it up on the mls sheet) with a recliner and great light and not a book within arm's reach.
looking at the photos on their wall, i see tons of drunken fun. and lots of nomadic ramblings. i suppose such people might walk into one of my living spaces and take pity on me, seeing the stacks of books and papers and what not, and assume that i've got a small, tiny life. but it's funny, i couldn't help but think the same of them for the lack of.... not stuff. i've got way too many damned trinkets and knick-knacks. but input sources. books, magazines, newspapers, internet... whatever. just ways to go in sponge mode and suck stuff in besides the toob.
and i know nothing about these people, i shouldn't be making such judgements. i'm sure a large part of it is just the fact that they're trying to sell a house and are trying to make things nice and pretty. but first impressions are funny. you can't control them, they just happen.
9 comments:
You're not strange for thinking this. The first thing I look for when entering anyone's house for the first time is how many books does this person have; then, I look for the cd's.
Or maybe we're just both weird. Happy house hunting.
NO BOOKS?!?!?
One of our friends has a lovely apartment. It's decorated in a way that makes me very, very envious. But as Loki pointed out there are no books. None. Nothing to read.
NOTHING.
In cluttered Douglas Manor there are books everywhere (cook books in the kitchen, magazines in the bathroom, books on my nightstand) everywhere!
I can't imagine not having books.
Wow. Sorry, I rambled there...
my house is clean, but i am a total neat freak. poor Mr. T is learning to deal with my sickness. but we own tons of books, however they are all on the shelf or neatly displayed on the coffee table. there are magazines in the bathroom, in a nice basket. paperwork in the office. but has far as trinkets and kinck-kancks - NO! those are gifts from the dust devils, and if you don't believe me dust them in the morning and come back and dust them again that night!
but feel free to drop by my house and judge me!
You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you. ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club, Chapter 5
I wouldn't have plagerized if I could have said it better myself.
maybe they go to the library....
Realtors don't want anything in a house that leaves an impression of the former owners- they want you to see the property as "yours".
So yes- the furniture stays because it is too big to move out- but anything personal- like books, or knick-knacks that give the present owners any character at all- a realtor wants it gone. Even down to paint colors. The cow border in my kitchen was not a big hit- but I didn't change it!
Enjoy this process as much as you can- it's fun to buy your first house...hope you find the one that fits :)
Sean,
Just stopping by to say HI!! I can't believe you are all settled back into life stateside and looking for a house..How awesome.
I look forward to reading how you have found the perfect one...and you can clutter it up nicely..just the way you like it!
8-)
~leelee~
Every time I enter a house I look for books. It's a great way to pass time while waiting for inspections. I then know where I stand with the people. *L* We have more books then we know what to do with. I mean, apart from reading, and re-reading.
We get a lot of those *cold* houses. People don;t want a ton of clutter, but they want some personaity. It's a fine line when staging.
I love putting on my "real estate agent" hat. *L*
Post a Comment