Tuesday, June 13, 2006

sorry... writer's block...

haven't written in awhile, but it hasn't been for lack of trying. i think i've popped open this window several times this last week or two, but either haven't been able to write anything down, or when i have, i've either been unable to save the entry after i wrote it out, or i kept getting distracted before i finished it.

so the various rants and raves have been discarded, but i do need to ask the question i spoke of earlier. sorry, it's not that big of a question, definately not worth the buildup. and it's not that controversial of course, just one of those "things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmm...."

so. trucks and guns. i go shoot a pistol or a rifle, i have a good time. i zone out for a little bit, shut my brain down, and really focus on the task at hand. normally i'm a little bit a.d.d. and my brain is all over the place, so it's a good little mental exercise. but when it's over, it's over. the gun gets cleaned, put away, and i carry on with whatever i next have planned. i like big trucks, but because of what they represent. either getting from point a to point b when alot of other vehicles couldn't instead of me having to walk that whole distance, or because they look cool, or i know they can haul all my gear or whatever. (have i mentioned having an appreciation for a singer sewing machine? i just like a well built, functional machine.)

but in more than one case, especially in the military, i've seen lots of women get excited after they've driven one of the big trucks for the first time, taken it off road and slung some mud around, or after they've fired weapons. i frequently hear them talking about how powerful they feel after doing one or the other. that's not quite something i get. where does that sense of power come from? i've heard alot of possible explanations for this, but these have mostly come from drunk males, and i wouldn't consider them to be experts on the subject. probably the consensus among them though, is that men are generally physically larger than women, and while there are extremes, either really large or really little men, for the most part we've got an average. and we're not used to being surrounded on a constant basis by people who are physically larger than us. so driving that bigger truck or shooting that weapon doesn't change things for us. but the non-tomboy women who don't do alot of the racing and chasing with the guys and who aren't competing with men in the physical arena are... i dunno. something the first time they climb up in the cab or put lead down-range. i dunno, is that reading too much into it? are they full of it?

the other interesting thing that has been pointed out is that some women's personalities almost seem to change when they get behind the wheel of the big SUV or pick-up. they become significantly more aggressive than when they're driving the little compact car, and don't seem to realize it.

thoughts? anyone experienced it that can break it down into small words for me?

thanks.

8 comments:

Megan said...

i am a tomboy woman...i own a truck (big and vroooom vrooooms), but i bought it because my lifestyle requires a truck (hard to haul a trailer behind a sports car). i also own several firearms. pistols, rifles, shotguns...however, i was brought up to respect them and treat them like the tool they are...

so what i am getting at is i don't feel anymore 'powerful' behind the wheel of my one ton, four door diesel truck than behind the wheel of my car. i also don't get a rush after squeezing the trigger. i think it has to do with my rasing or maybe i am just weird.

don't get me wrong, their are times when i do feel powerful. sometimes those moments come in the office after i have challenged something in front of the 'boys' or maybe after finishing a physical competition, or just being able to do something just as well or even better than one of the boys!

Paperback Writer said...

sean, i'm suffer from napolean's (sp?) syndrome. i'm short, considered many to be 'cute' and harmless, so when I get behind the wheel of my suv (which i get guilty about sometimes) i know that I change.

I'm trying very hard to change this.

btw: i'm glad you're blogging again.

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Sean...so glad you are back! I should have sent you a note...I'm sorry I didn't.

My 2 cents...and I guess you know me about as well as a blogger can know another :)

For me, there is power in mastering anything. Figuring out how something works and making it work for me--whether in the kitchen using a new gadget, or in the garage using the table saw, or even learning a new word and using it correctly.
Now...T has a big truck, a Tundra. I feel like a pea in a boat when whenever I drive it--
but it has a V8 (my 4-runner has a 6 cyl). When I put the hammer down--the thing will fly!
I wouldn't say that I drive it more aggressively, mostly because it is so big and I fear I will hit something, but it does give me a kind of a rush. If I drove something really big, like a hummer, but out in a space where I couldn't accidentally tear something up...I might actually join the Army!
LOL :)

Trouble said...

I get a little more aggressive when I drive a truck or whatever. I think it has to do with me tapping into my inner testosterone chick or something.

Sean: On the blogging thing, just write. Even if it's crappy, and you end up deleting it, the key is to keep writing.

The self-doubt is the hardest thing to get past, but the more you just rant or whatever, the more confident you will get and the more you will find your voice. Sometimes, the rants I've posted have garnered more comments and attention than the cute stuff I think people will like.

Sean said...

thanks for all of the input. makes it easier to bridge the "leap in logic".

elcynic said...

Hell, it took WEEKS for me to get over the guilt and the "HUGENESS" of my CRV. So, well, you know.

And guns, yeah, I'lljust have to trust you on that one. *L*

elcynic said...

Oh, and you have seen my live journal, you know that you need not at all profound to entertian me. *L*

bslawg said...

Trucks and guns specifically give me that "get the hell out of my way" attitude.

I think it's because as a woman, and a fairly small one at that, I tend to get that "aww...you're so cute" pat on the head reaction for 95% of my life. The ability to jump into a large piece of machinery where I can not be ignored based on my size and gender is something that I'm still very much enjoying.

Then again, it could just be a primal reaction to the growl of the engine, the loud crack of the bullet leaving the chamber, the instinctual jolt of adrenaline at the moment when the intimate object threatens to take control.

All I know is I'm a horsepower junkie, and yes it makes me feel like a natural woman.