
flipping through the channels tonight i found an episode of "china beach" playing on t.v. it was an episode where they had clips from interviews with vets interwined with clips from the show. as a kid i watched the show fairly religiously for a couple of years, mainly because of the cute girls. i understood what was going on with the show, i was in my teens, but i hadn't seen the show since then.
watching it tonight was weird. it was different to have this newer, adult understanding of it. after two rotations through two different combat zones i could actually relate to it. not just "understand it" but "been there, done that". kind of unsettling. weird. from the discussions of what it was like the first time you heard the mortar rounds walking in on your perimeter to the feeling of homesickness for the people over there once they'd come home. and hearing someone say they'd do it all over again.
2 comments:
I wish I could say I know what you mean. Actually, I'm thankful I can't. I do kind of understand though, I can't watch law shows without screaming at the tv about how wrong they get it.
But at least you have cable now, right?
I loved that show, wish it was still on or would be released on DVD.
Post a Comment