Friday, August 04, 2006

t.v. confessio... er... something.

... i like alton brown on the food network. can you believe i actually watch a show on the food network? or several of them. his new "feasting on asphalt" show makes me happy. and i want to not like him. he's a little pompous. he uses ten words when 2 would suffice. he uses BIG words when the little ones would be great. i think that's part of why i like "feasting on asphalt". you have this high-brow guy eating at diners across america. backroads kinda places. it's kinda refreshing to watch him eating burgers, dawgs, cheesesteaks and the like. i can clean up pretty nicely and order from a menu in a high-end place without embarrassing myself. but there's something about american comfort foods that makes me happy, meatloaf, chicken fried steak, burgers, pizza, etc.

... to continue with the foodnetwork... in iraq someone had a maxim magazine with pictures of rachel ray in it. after looking at that for a year i finally saw her on t.v. her voice really, really wasn't what i was expecting. kinda took something out of it.

... some of my male role models? red foreman, coach hayden fox, sam malone, al bundy

... i think i've finally gotten over the thrill of having a remote control and tons of channels with nothing on them that interests me. i'm actually going to bed before midnight again and walking away from the tube.

10 comments:

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

I watch Food Network all the time, and yes, Alton's kind of an acquired taste. I didn't like him for the longest time, and I keep missing the new show (dammit! I want to see the brain sandwiches episode). But his regular show, Good Eats, is a lot of fun and very informative, and the risotto recipe he made on that show is POSITIVELY SINFUL.

Paperback Writer said...

I can't believe you call Alton Brown pompous.

POMPOUS!

Sean, those are fighting words! ;)

I don't think the brain sandwich episode has aired. They only started last week.

Sean said...

pw... from my handy-dandy encarta:

pom·pous [pómpəss]
adjective
1. self-important: having an excessive sense of self-importance, usually displayed through exaggerated seriousness or stateliness in speech or manner
2. revealing self-importance: displaying exaggerated seriousness or stateliness
a pompous gesture

3. ceremonially grand: full of splendor and magnificence

Microsoft® Encarta® 2006. © 1993-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

yeah, i'd say one or more of those applies to alton... ;)

bslawg said...

I love Alton. I got burned out on the food channel a couple years ago, after watching too many Iron Chef marathons. But I still watch Alton.

Didn't know he had a new show though...must watch.

SBS said...

Any time I've ever watched the Food Network it was Good Eats....I adore Alton....

Ted Bundy....not so much
:)

Paperback Writer said...

Bah!

:)

Alton Brown is my not so secret boyfriend.

mlh418 said...

Alton is cool.. I didn't like him at first either, but he has grown on me..

Trouble said...

I like Alton a lot, mainly because his recipes are the greatest. The chef and I are both AB addicts.

And, I really like shows about comfort foods.

SBS said...

you and DG would be perfect for each other....neither one of you are any good at updating your blog
:)

Sean said...

it's cause i'm intimidated. i can't come up with anything as good as "i gave head on the kitchen floor, alright?". how can i compete with that for an audience?