Wednesday, August 02, 2006

thank you blogspot! just lost a rant i'd typed out. not sure that it's worth typing over again. i went to sam's club last night and i needed something else and walmart was next door, so i decided to see if they had it. normally i avoid walmart and kmart like the plague, but out of laziness i just walked next door to check it out. i found what i wanted and went to checkout and saw that they'd added monitors to every check-out line in the store. these monitors play music videos and stream news. and no one had a problem with this. no one should be standing in line long enough to watch music videos and commercials. instead of staffing the store adequately and training the cashiers so that they can get people through the lines in a timely manner, they just decided to try and numb the minds of the customers.

the thing about this is, people will still go to walmart because they're cheaper. but they don't look at the big picture. my time standing in line is worth so much more than that $.05 i saved on that one item last night. walmart has basically said "we know our service sucks, and we really don't care. we've got you by the balls and you're going to keep coming back to us, so we can pretty much treat you however we want. now shut up, your fellow customers can't hear the music!"

7 comments:

Chris said...

You make a good point. Although I fall for their tricks myself. Nothing like a mindless consumer...

Jim McKee said...

Most of the time any more, I type my posts in Notepad, then copy into Blogger. I have NEVER had Notepad crap out unless mu whole PC does. Alternatively, once you're done with your post, but before you submit (or save, or whatever button you push), copy the extire text of your post. If Blogger screws up, you can then paste the copied text into any text editor, then save it for recovery purposes. It sounds like a lot, but I think the description of it is far more complex than the actual process.

SBS said...

I HATE WALMART!!!! I love Julie's comment about WalHell...that's pretty funny....Anyway, I think I have been to Walmart maybe 5 times in the last 3 or 4 years. I'd rather pay the money than waste my time.

elcynic said...

Oh there are SO many of us that refuse to shop there, I think they may get the message.. eventually.

HRH Courtney, Queen of Everything said...

Walmart blows, on several levels. My boycott is almost 10 years strong now. Target's manufacturing policies aren't much better, but they, at least, have style.

Oh, and elcynic? They will NEVER get the message because they don't have to. Walmart has such a grip on rural and middle America, they just get to say "f-you" to everyone else and keep their employment practices shitty and prices low and the family becomes billionaires on the backs of the American poor.

Paperback Writer said...

I hate Walmart too. But it's the summer. Loki and I are forced to get cheaper items even at the price of ever loving souls.

Jen said...

But at Sam's club, if you are getting gas, they have little monitors you can watch while you pump your gas! They try to sell you EVERYTHING on those!
But to be honest, if you buy your gas at Sam's you are usually on empty and you go there b/c it is ALWAYS cheaper! So the little bit of entertaining adverts is nice!