Thursday, January 11, 2007

i am seriously craving golden graham s'mores for some reason.

so my newish big boss sent out an email yesterday that very bluntly said that the new documentation requirements/project management policies & procedures that he's put into place need to be adhered to or else it's going to reflect very negatively in annual reviews. he specifically made a point to say that some people are lacking in their documentation to date and that this is the warning to them to shape up.

now the problem that i have with this is that he didn't name anyone specifically. i just think that's a chickenshit way to handle it. if someone isn't performing to standard, you pull them aside and tell them. you don't wait until the year end performance review and then slam them.

the FUNNY thing about this is that i was out of the office when this email was sent. i was at another office all morning. but when i came back i got called into the "principal's office" and was asked why i had such a negative reaction to the email. "uh, what?" "well, i heard that you just started ranting and raving about it. and to be honest, on the one hand i don't care, because this is the way it is. but on the other hand, i'd like to know why this upsets you so" "i have no idea what you're talking about. i wasn't here all morning. i got the email and said "cool, makes sense"".

so. gee. stuff like that doesn't make you a little paranoid that someone's out to get you. noooooo.

now a couple weeks/months ago i wrote a post about how it irritates the hell out of me when people bitch about their lot in life but do nothing to improve it. i've been trying, honest. busting my ass to get the degree and the security clearance done because i've seen the writing on the wall here for awhile. i'd prefer to job hunt with both of those things in hand, because it'll open up so many more opportunities for me. and i've been interviewing when the right looking opportunity comes up. that's been fairly weird for me. i've had several interviews that i knocked out of the ballpark. phrases like "expect an offer letter later this afternoon" have been tossed about, and then they drop off the face of the earth. won't return emails or calls, anything. and this has happened more than once. and that's what kinda freaks me out. what happened to sending out a "hi, we appreciate your interest but we decided to go with a more qualified applicant/our requirements change/the position was filled internally" whatever form letter.

weirdness. did everyone drink the kool-aid while i was overseas?

10 comments:

Harleyblue said...

I feel your pain. Bastards. It's the least they could do to call you back and let you know they went with another candidate. Geez, people are rude.

Sean said...

harley... did you ever get a response?

oh sure julie. as if i wasn't paranoid enough already...

The Accidental Bitch said...

Mmmm I love s'mores pop tarts.

Job hunting is a pain, but for some reason I love it. Maybe I just love to hunt and charm people in interviews.

The thing with your boss is hilarious. And yeah, a good manager doesn't need to send a general email to everyone; they need to tackle problems as they arise.

PS. I'm sorry if I ruined Stupid and Contagious for you, but it's a great read, so I hope you read it anyway!

Jules said...

Sean - how is it that noone commented on your MUCH better avatar!!!?!?! You're actually smiling! YAY!

As far as work goes, I'm in no position to offer comments there. My boss is a one year old.

SBS said...

Great new pic!!! You look so cute!

Okay.... I think that your coworkers are nuts. And, your boss is even crazier for believing them.

Nutella rocks....on anything....but yes, on grahams especially.

TC said...

I like the new pic as well. :)

That sucks: it does make you wonder who is trying to get rid of you, I'll agree. I hope things work out there soon though! Yikes!

Megan said...

funny...mr. t and i were talking about s'mores last night. we are going to have a s'mores making table at the wedding! we love them and find any excuse to build a fire and make them.

we are experience our own office politics, but in regards to dogs. a few people in other office locations have ruined it for all of us. but it is all said in a memo...of course. why not just talk to the shitbags that ruined it?!

okay, i must stop ranting! happy friday!

Paperback Writer said...

Damn, Julie. You were right in saying that weird drama work stuff was happening!

Last Friday, one of my coworkers got a dressing down from our boss. Now, the coworker feels like everyone is out to get her.

*sigh*

ps

A smiling Sean!! Hooray!!

bslawg said...

Ditto on the pic...I almost didn't recognize you when the page loaded!

As far as the black helicopter job situation goes, it sucks. Job hunting sucks. Having a boss/coworkers/or the janitor that has decided they don't want you around anymore sucks.

I've had the same job hunting experience over the past year. "We love you...we'll send you an offer letter this week"...NOTHING. I don't know why. Personally I find it rude. To me it's the equivalent of "Sure I'll call you in the morning baby."

I've also had coworkers and bosses who decided they didn't like me, and therefore were going to do their best to get me out the door. I've found that bringing donuts, coffee, and talking about my fictitious financially dependant aging grandmother generally solves that problem.

I'm just sayin. Hope you're having a better day today.

Trouble said...

I can't say much on the work front, but I love the new pic. You look so tanned and happy.