Thursday, October 25, 2007

another video...

another blast from the past...

i've always loved this song. when i first heard it i was fairly young and it was one of the ones i used to like blasting like crazy, just to drown thoughts out in my head. i was probably in the barracks on active duty then, listening on crappy earphones, unhappy because i hadn't figured the "game" of the army out yet, or i was heart-broken or mooning over some girl (boo girls!).

i've probably been listening to the song for ten or twelve years and my appreciation for it has deepened and changed. i live in a nice place with a decent stereo and GREAT speakers. i love to pull the speakers away from the wall, point them inward to a spot in the center of the floor and lay on my back on that spot and crank it. the song's got a heavy bass line that washes over me and rumbles through my body. on a good studio recording version the girls harmonize wonderfully. and whoever produced the song did a great job with stereo seperation. i pick up so many little details i never heard years before, listening on tinny earphones or blasting on a car stereo while road-tripping. one voice will hit from one side, another will join and fill out the music from the other side.

probably not the best song ever, but it makes me happy...

6 comments:

courtney said...

YouTube being blocked here, I have no idea what the video is. However, when I was in high school, I used to listen to the new albums I'd get in that exact same way! Lay on the floor in between the speakers and let it wash over me.
I think you just inspired my next music column, actually. ;)

Liz said...

It IS a good song. Wow, Luscious Jackson My husband loves them.

Paige Jennifer said...

Ah, Luscious Jackson - the edgy girl rockers who broke onto the scene just as dirty, plaid sporting boys from Seattle were eating up all air time. What on earth ever happened to them?

Mayden' s Voyage said...

Rebel Yell does the exact same thing for me...you could not have said it better :)

I'll be thinking of you while we watch the game tonight- and even though I'm pulling for the Sox- if the Rockies win...I'll be at least happy for you :D

? said...

Luscious Jackson was great! I LOVED this song when I was in high school, and I still love it.

Mayden, I dig Rebel Yell in the same way that you do.

Sean said...

courtney. can't wait to read it.

edw/pj. apparently they're getting back together to record children's music, which seems like a huge letdown for some reason...

cora... that's another one i love. doesn't seem to have quite the same unappreciated intracacies though.

bottle blonde... thanks for popping in!