so i was hanging out with some friends the other night when they got into a heated discussion. now i'm not going to say it was a stupid argument or that it was one person's fault more than the others but...
last week a buddy (d) went to the e.r. with some headache pains. i went and picked him up, this other guy that i was with stopped in a couple times to make sure everything was okay. last weekend they went shooting together and they've hung out a couple times since the e.r. trip. this couple is an older couple, and has been together forever, so by this stage of the game she should really have a better idea of how he works. anyways, we were hanging out and she asks us how d's doing. "fine, he looks good". "well, what was wrong with him?" "he had a bad headache". "no, i know that why he went to the hospital, what what caused the headaches?" "dunno" <-me "didn't ask" <- her husband. that started her off on why didn't we ask.
i started to withdraw from the conversation at this point and was looking for a position in the room that would provide me with both cover and concealment. she directed her energies towards her husband and things went downhill from there. apparently there are (in her mind) serious communications issues in their relationship. she wants him to dig deeper and talk about his feelings more with her. he's closed off, emotionally unavailable to her. he does a good job listening to her when she talks and discusses her feelings with her, but why can't he let her be there for him the same way?
the conversation dragged on and on, and got nowhere fast. she's dated him forever. she's been married to him forever. he talks to her, he's just not wired the same way she is. he doesn't dig too deeply into his own feelings and isn't going to start. he knows what he knows about himself and feels no need to ask why does he know what he knows. he'll say "ow" (or more likely "son-of-a-bitch!") if he hits his thumb with a hammer when he's driving a nail into a 2"x4". he's more than happy to tell you if you've pissed him off. and i've seen him be sweet and tender with his wife and daughters. she's going through some soul searching right now because she's hitting middle age and is unhappy with her life and wants to drag him along for the ride. he's been this way for decades, why try to bully him into changing?
i fight the urge to overanalyze stuff everyday. i can't turn my brain off at night and i can spend the night tossing and turning and rehashing events if i let myself. take something simple like shooting. why have i been so much lately? i'm not a gun freak, why shoot so much? i'm not really shooting that well right now, relatively speaking. is it just that i enjoy shooting, and it's as simple as that? have i been enjoying the company? or is their something deeper? honing skills? concern that this trip's gonna be more dangerous than the last? lack of faith in the training we've been getting as a whole? doubt in my own personal skill? the fact that i'm not shooting as hot really worrying me? wanting to be better than all of my guys in as many different skills as possible, so that i'm leading by example? i could go on for hours obsessing over my motivations.
and that's just shooting. lordy if i obsessed like that over inter-personal relationships, i'd drive myself nuts. not that i don't spend some time. i've definately confessed to being a championship level "what if?" player. but as i've grown up here over the last couple of years i've gotten alot better and shutting it off before it gets TOO wildly out of control. i don't do it with everything though, thank God. the fact that he doesn't seem to spend tons of time overanalyzing things is something i'm jealous of, and the fact that she wants him to change that...
where am i going with this? i have no idea. but there's alotta stuff tumbling through my head these days and i'm sure you guys are gonna be forced to read all of it. consider yourselves warned.
11 comments:
Write away, Sean.
For the first time in my life, I'm actively trying NOT to overthink ANYTHING. It's not worth the mental drama when I do.
I think- about the shooting- you just want to be as prepared as you can be...and that is good.
Something I've learned recently (Awakening at Mid-life- book) is that in long term relationships we humans "project" the things we want our spouses to be...and those things are actually qualities we like about ourselves.
For example- I'm the fixer-upper at our house. I fix things because it comes naturally to me- and I get frustrated with T because he doesn't fix anything. Why do I get frustrated? As you said, "He's been this way for decades- why try to change him?"- I simply don't know. What I do know is that I have to stop expecting him to do things I "hope" he will do- and either ask directly- or drop it.
Sorry I've been away- hugs :)
I'm with you in the major overanalytical club. It sucks, and I wish that I could be a much more laid back soul. But then there's the whole unexamined life isn't worth living thing...so maybe we're okay :)
i fight the urge to overanalyze stuff everyday. i can't turn my brain off at night and i can spend the night tossing and turning and rehashing events if i let myself.
Oh god, me too.
It's a curse I tell you.
When this relationship was new, I used to want to keep my husband up late at night to talk about our feelings, to analyze things, to discuss hopes and dreams for the future.
Now... I just want to sleep more. :)
I like to think that after 15 years... we can read each other's minds... no need to overanalyze anything. Lets just go to sleep!! :)
I'm an overanalyzer myself too. And then I analyze each thing through the three different lenses of my three different cycles. I tell you it is exhausting and not at all productive. #2 doesn't analyze anything really. He can rarely tell me how he feels about something because he hasn't thought of it. Sometimes it drives me crazy because I can't understand it, but I keep it in perspective that we have different minds. Maybe that's easy for me because I'm crazy and my mind is different from most people's.
Huh ? I KNOW I left a long comment last night... What happenned, Sean ? It's Friday morning...
Loving Annie
Sean,
it's only called overanalyzing when you don't like the conclusion that you drew. Otherwise it's deep and profound thinking with a wise outcome :)
More marriages would be happier if people stopped trying to change each-other, or married a partner that they liked exactly the way they were....
Maybe shooting just interests you for right now and you're focused on it. As long as it's not interfering with the rest of your life or your friendships or family, who cares ?
Loving Annie
I think we all tend to overanalyze from time to time.
That's it. That's my major contribution.
*sigh*
:)
Sorry.
Hope you have a great weekend Sean !
I think we're all a little over-analytical.
As much as I do it I try to encourage people to take what I say at face value.
It's strange that I can't do the same..
Post a Comment