
http://www.shareoursuzy.org/
My older sister's friends started this organization to help my sister when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After she went into remission, she kept the events going to raise money to help other breast cancer patients. Unfortunately the cancer returned, and we lost Suzy, but the organization, and her spirit remain. The money raised through these events isn't sent to big companies or organizations or research groups that are trying to fight breast cancer, it goes to help the actual patients in the South Carolina region. It helps provide transportation, wigs for chemo patients, assistance with pharmacy and hospital bills, etc.. The group tries to help each patient maintain as much of their dignity as possible.
If you're in the Columbia or Charleston area, please consider attending one of their fundraising events, or volunteering your time to help with event set up and management. If you're not in the area but know someone who is, please send the link along or consider donating yourself. If you can't donate, but have time to go volunteer locally, please do so. Every little bit helps. Money isn't the only way to help. The hospital volunteers who assisted us with literature, a shoulder to cry on, personal stories of triumph over the disease... they all helped so much.
Sean
12 comments:
*hugs*
Your sister must have been an amazing woman to have inspired such an organization.
I'm so sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful to remember and honor her!
what a beautiful woman! i agree with tc, she must have been one amazing woman.
Thanks for sharing her story with us, Sean.
Sean...
Your sister was amazing. This is such a wonderul honor. I'd be proud to make a donation.
Beautiful....
It's posts like this that make me want to take a permanent marker to your title and scratch out 'idiot' once and for all. Maybe replace it with silly boy?
thank you everyone! i hate pimping stuff out on the blog, but i appreciate the support.
pj... your monitor's gonna look funny. reminds me of the blonde joke with the white-out.
I am so moved that your sister's friends started this organization. It's a cause close to my heart. Thank you for sharing it.
I'm really sorry to hear about your sister, but that seems like a wonderful organization!
Thank you for sharing :)
Thanks for the insight :)
I have a 17" screen now and looove it lol.
So I'm happy it will be fairly similar.
I'm terribly sad to part with this one though :(
I had it all through college and it hold so many memories!
I would if I lived in South Carolina. However, I can contribute some money...
Sean, I had no idea you had lost your sister. I'm so sorry to hear that. Starting that organization in her honor was very kind and a wonderful way to remember and honor her.
Post a Comment