i've always loved his music, and i've always taken flak for it. "redneck music", "white trash", etc... usually from people who've never lived in small-town america and don't recognize the goodness that can come from people there. same with johnny cougar music.
i love the sound of the music after the pause. the "i awoke last night to the sound of thunder" bit. alot of my friends consider themselves to be music connoisseurs and don't see these to be complex. personally i think there's alot going on in some of these songs. and they resonate off of me, which is really all that matters. i think i've talked about my love of a certain girl as a youngster and associating "you'll accompany me" with her for so long. we were such good friends, such a good fit, for years it felt like we'd end up together someday. that song was just reaffirmation to me way back when. it was nice knowing i wasn't the only one.
things are okay now. there's alot of little things going on with the deployment. in the past when i've done these trips, i've been on active duty for months before actually leaving the country, which gave us lots of time to get stuff done. we're not going to have as much time this trip, so we're being forced to spend lots of personal time getting things sorted out and ready. so i'm tired. we're all burning the candle at both ends. trying to do the most to wrap up loose ends at the civilian job and around my house and trying to do all the stuff for the unit. i could complain about lots of stuff, but i don't like doing that. but it's necessary and it'll get better. the only way to get past things like this is to go through them.
7 comments:
Probably my favorite Bob Seger song, and yes, that pause is genius. The quiet, simple strums, and then back into the main beat and guitar riff, which builds and explodes. Fucking genius.
It doesn't hurt that I sort of lived this song, too.
Interesting song choice...you've got a few great "night moves" of your own. hee hee.
I am soooo young. Good luck :)
I love Bob Seger, it says so in my profile. Night Moves is definitely my favorite song. My kids know most of the words. I take pride in that...they also know the words to Roxanne.
Last weekend my little brother told me he wanted to join the military...I cried for an hour and told him no way, no how. I'm a worrier. I worry about stuff all day long, the last thing I need to worry about is that.
I think you are very brave, and wish you the best. Now stay safe when you finally go, or I'll have to hurt you!
usually from people who've never lived in small-town america and don't recognize the goodness that can come from people there. same with johnny cougar music.
Amen.
I really think you have to have LIVED that life to appreciate it. Otherwise, you just don't get it.
I was a huge fan of Bob's!
He's a motown boy...kudos to you for liking his stuff, he rocks and always will.
Post a Comment