I've picked up a lot of new visitors because of Lori at http://toysfortroops.blogspot.com. She's doing some great things over there and you should visit and check it out. Normally I'd try to visit everyone's blogs and leave more comments, but my 'net access has been very limited. I'm okay, my guys are okay, we're all doing well. We're just going through the painful, painful process of "mobilizing".
My unit is the most heavily deployed company in the Army Reserves. To my understanding there hasn't been in a time in the last decade when we haven't had people deployed. We're at 200% strength because so many people volunteer to come to our unit because they know we train hard, work hard and play hard. We've got a partial company deployed to Iraq, we're getting ready to go where we're going, and then in the beginning of next year we're pushing more people to Iraq. I'm going on my third deployment, my roommate is going on his fourth. Over 90% of the guys going with me have deployed before.
None of that matters. We're all being treated like idiots going through this process. I understand that. When you're pushing this many bodies through all of these stations you have to talk to the lowest common denominator so that you can get people through quickly. But then there's the active duty mind set that reservists are a bunch of dumb, lazy fat-asses. I had the same misconception when I was on active duty. Not because I had any dealings with reservists, but because that's what everyone said. We actually were given a lengthy lecture today about how we were all on active duty now, on an active duty post and whatever nonsense we might do at home or on our drill weekends wasn't going to e tolerated here. That we needed to act like professional soldiers for once. Not because we'd done anything wrong, simply because of who we are.
The most annoying part about that lecture? The active duty people giving it weren't wearing any indications on their uniform that they've ever deployed before. They're not required to, but most people usually will, just to give themselves some instant street-cred.
Anyways, we're doing well, we're in relatively good spirits and we're eager to get this show on the road.
Hope everyone is surviving the holiday madness, and sorry for making the rounds.
9 comments:
Thanks for the update, Sean! :-)
Hi, I can't find any contacts on your blog. Can I ask you to leave a note for me? My email is in profile.
Thanks, Chris
Your third deployment ? Wow. Be safe, Sean - thinking of you - left you special blessings on my blog today - glad that Lori has been sending lots of new visitors your way !
Wow, for some reason I didn't think you shipped out until after the new year. :-/
Stay safe and take care of yourself!
Who is this other Chris (linked to EdenFantasys)? It's not me! :)
Good luck. I'll be hoping for you.
Good luck and stay safe Sean. I'm surprised active duty has that view of reserve. Makes no sense at all.
Just dropping by to say that I'm thinking about you, Sean. THANK YOU for your service.
OH WOW, sweeite....I didn't realize you had left already!!!! Good luck. Our thoughts are with you. Blog when you can. And, don't worry about us.
Glad to see you update! Stay safe and keep us posted!!
Let me know where to send tastykakes for Christmas!
Post a Comment